Property Street Addressing FAQs

Answers to your most common enquiries about Property Street Addressing.

When did the Property Street Addressing (PSA) project commence? 

In 1994, Landgate took over the management of Western Australia's Street Address dataset. It developed a strategy to provide one complete and authoritative source of all property street addresses in the State. Work on building the complete metropolitan component of the dataset was commenced in 1997.

Through its Rural Street Addressing project, Landgate is now bringing the benefits of such an address system to some 65,000 rural properties throughout Western Australia, over a four-year period. When the project is completed, it will have brought a range of benefits to an area ten times the size of the United Kingdom.

Who is responsible for property street numbering? 

Local governments have responsibility for the allocation and control of the numbering process whilst Landgate has the state government custodial responsibility by ensuring the ongoing maintenance and quality of data, accountability and reliability of source and accessibility of the PSA database.

Why does the address on my Certificate of Title differ from my local government rates notice? 

Although registered Certificates of Title are quality checked to the address database the PSA information recorded in the 'Statements' panel on existing titles is not maintained until:

a) notification of a discrepancy is received by Landgate from a local government

b) Landgate receives an enquiry from a public utility or service provider requesting clarification of a PSA, or

c) a transfer of property ownership occurs. Any change of street address or locality (suburb) address will not be reflected on the Certificate of Title until it is amended as a matter of a transfer request or through notification of any amendments from Local Government. 

'Old' Certificate of Titles may reflect addressing errors due to inadequate information being available at the time. When a transfer of Title occurs the addressing information will be quality checked and will show the correct current address information. 

Out-of-date or incorrect address information on your Certificate of Title does not affect the legality or status of the title. As a property owner you may apply to have the address information on your Certificate of Title corrected by applying to Landgate.

Why won't my Service Provider (for example Alinta Gas, Water Corporation, Telstra) set up an account for me?

I have been advised by my Service Provider that I cannot have an account or connection until my new address has been listed on their database. 

This is because their database receives this information from Landgate, but the occurrence of this problem is declining as procedures improve. If you experience problems and delays to have services connected due to the difficulty of obtaining an account, contact your Service Provider with your concerns and express that they contact Landgate to gain the necessary information to permit your account to be created.

Why doesn't urban property street address information show on my strata title? 

The PSA database contains detailed address information but this currently is unable to be depicted on strata titles. Until addresses can be depicted on strata titles the result will continue to be "No address information available".

Is it possible to amend a property street address? 

Normally, numbers are allocated in a sequential order which usually precludes any amendments to street numbering after the initial allocation. However, problems with mail delivery or difficulty in locating a property do occur, and you may apply in writing to your local government to have your request considered.

What urban property address number do I use if I am on a corner? 

Corner lots are normally allowed a number on either street frontage. The allocated number is initially determined to be the street with the smaller frontage but this may be changed to reflect the position of your street access.

What urban property address number do I use if I am in a duplex? 

Where only one street number has previously been allocated the unit on the lower numbered side normally uses the existing allocated number (for example 21) and the other unit uses the allocated number plus a suffix A (for example 21A). Alternatively, 21A and 21B may be used. 

Some local governments do allocate unit numbers rather than suffixes so refer to local procedures for the allocation of urban street numbers for further information.

How does rural property numbering work?

Rural property numbering is simple - numbers are allocated in sequence, based on how far the entrance is from the nominated start of the road. Odd numbers are on the left and even numbers on the right. If a property's number is 327, it's on the left side and three-point-two-seven kilometres from the start of the road. If the number is 1026, it's on the right and ten-point-two-six kilometres from the start.

How do they know where to allocate rural property numbers? 

A rural address is a distance based street address given to every land parcel with a substantial building in the South-West Land Division. This rural number replaces an existing registered mail box (RMB) or Lot number; or is allotted to any property where there is no previous address. Landgate coordinates the rural addressing process in line with national standards. Initially, its nationally-recognised skills in digital imagery and Geographic Information System technology enabled a cost-effective transformation of lot numbers to logical address numbers. Using the latest technology, Landgate integrates aerial photography, cadastral, geographic and other land-related data to determine addresses in a simple and speedy, yet extremely accurate, computer operation. No costly field trips are required to determine the numbers. Once a local government area has commenced using rural numbering (referred to as 'live'), the local government assumes responsibility for the determination and allocation of rural street addresses when required. Landgate's role then becomes one of assisting the local government to fulfill their duties.

When should I start using a new rural property address number? 

You will be notified by mail (to your new address) that you should now start using the new address. There may be quite a long delay between the placement of the number sign at your gate and the official notification.

Who has been notified about my new rural property address number? 

Obviously both Landgate and the local government are aware of your new address. In addition Landgate has notified the Police and Fire Services, the Federal and State Electoral commissions, Synergy, Water Corporation, Alinta, Australia Post, Telstra, Main Roads WA and St John Ambulance on your behalf. These bodies are notified at the same time as the owner. They have contributed to the Property Street Address Project because they recognise the benefits of a logical numbering system.

My rural property address number is not what I think it should be?

If you believe that we have made a mistake in numbering, we need to be told. This may be due to the fact that we could not clearly identify your entrance from the aerial photograph, or that you have two entrances to the same building and we did not know which was the preferred address. Whatever the reason we will examine the problem and change your address if required.

Why did I get two rural property addresses?

If you have two entrances to separate buildings on the property then we need to give them each an address. When an ambulance is looking for an injured person, it is most beneficial if the address provided actually matches the entrance to the accident scene (which may well be a shed etc).

I want to change where my rural property address number post has been positioned. Is this possible? 

You may shift the address post back closer to your letterbox or gate if you wish. We would ask that you ensure that the number is clearly visible from the road. The address post should not be shifted to a position which might make it hazardous to traffic or pedestrians. 

I don't like my new rural property address number. Can I change it to something else? 

Generally, no.  However, if you change your entrance then your number can change in accordance with the rural numbering standard.

I don't want a new rural property address number. Can I keep my old number? 

No, under the Local Government Act 1995, the local government has an obligation to address all properties within its boundaries. This system for rural numbering is a national system currently being implemented throughout Australia. Your local government is implementing rural property addressing in your Shire to meet its obligations under the Local Government Act 1995 and to assist Police, Fire and Emergency Services and Ambulance personnel to find you quickly in times of emergency. 

I have just had letterheads printed with my old rural property address number. What should I do? 

You should start to use your new address as soon as possible after the local government has officially notified you. However, if you are concerned about receiving your mail, goods or services, then you should leave your lot number visible on the letterhead and write the word 'lot' in front of it. When next you need to print stationary, you should then adopt the new address consistently.

I haven't been assigned a rural property address number. What should I do?

In the first instance, contact your local government. If your local government has gone 'live' (is using rural property addressing) they will allocate the appropriate number. If it is before the 'live' date, notify the Council who will in turn inform Landgate of the omission and ask for a number to be allocated.

This page was last updated on: 13 Jul 2019